Our Mission -- fostering sustainable rural communities in North Central Washington by gathering and sharing success stories that enhance a sense of belonging, inspire action, and build community. We believe that thriving communities in a healthy environment create success.
- Darrell Dickeson
- Nicolle LaFleur
- Lauren Loebsack
- Erin Mundinger
- Kim Richardson
- George Thornton
- Michael Yale
IRIS Executive Summary
IRIS supports vibrant, healthy, sustainable rural communities in North Central Washington by building knowledge, confidence, and positive community dialogue. Our successful programs foster cooperative solutions to complex issues by connecting people, place and possibility:
- Workshops and Forums, such as the annual North Central Washington Community Success Summit, showcase community successes and fuel collaboration around shared goals.
- Place-Based Educational Programs actively engage people in gathering and sharing success stories about the lands, life and culture of the region. Participants gather oral histories, track seasonal patterns on the land, and use photo-monitoring to assess landscape change.
- Topical Assessments information to be used to clarify priorities, strengthen collaboration, and spur action. The NCW Regional Food Coalition and the Healthy Lands Roundtable are examples of this approach.
Current IRIS Programs
- Connecting with Nature - Focuses on the encounters between people and nature across habitat types and seasons
- Gathering Our Voice - Creates inspired stories for the future by developing a strong network of story gatherers and storytellers throughout the region
- Witnessing Change - Engages people in using photography to see lands through the eyes of a landowner or manager working to improve the health of the land
- Habitat Farming Enterprise Program; developing economic remuneration model for orchards in the Entiat River watershed
- Organizing Stewardship Success workshops and fieldtrips that highlight positive outcomes and provide training in innovative land stewardship practices
- Working with the Washington Biodiversity Council to implement recommendations from the Healthy Lands Initiative, e.g., NCW Biodiversity Council, NCW Stewardship Cooperative
- Facilitating protection of critical farm and timberlands by sharing and distributing information on incentive programs